Saturday 3 December 2011

The sideboard is here :D

yes! my second gumtree success!

I'm soooo pleased because it means we are finally down to one box in the front room. and than we will be completely unpacked! AND we'll be able to find stuff again.

I posted a picture before so I won't bore you again. everyone keeps saying how ugly the old 1940s dark oak furniture is.
my dad, mum, sister, john, traff have all told me how hideous this is.

I like it.
I love the dark 40's furniture with the curves and carved patterns- its very tactile, especially if its been well looked after as the surfaces are so polished and sooth and curvy and then the carvings are all rough. the handles are wooden and they're discoloured from use and worn smooth.
I find that somehow comforting.
My Granny used to have this style of dressing table, and a huge free standing wardrobe with a key, and chest of draws with a curved front. even as a kid I thought they were beautiful. but mostly now they remind me of her. maybe I liked them because she liked them so much.
so now I am sentimentally attached to someone else's dresser.

This is one of my biggest regrets:
when we cleared my Granny's house I didn't save any of the things I would have loved to keep. they all went to the tip. at the time I think I was too worried about the inconvenience and upsetting everyone when we were all very emotional.
now I really wish I'd just bitten the bullet and taken the shit that would have come with it- and held fast.

just silly things. like christmas baubles and books. things that are worthless in value but full of worth in a sentimental way.
I do realise though, that asking my parents to try and move then store that huge dressing table would probably have ended in my being killed and put under the patio. the mirror alone was about 4ft!

No comments:

Post a Comment